Steve Chen Buena Park Rotarian of the year 2007-08
• Candidate Exemplifies the Principals of the Four Way Test
• Steve treats people with respect and is highly respected in the community. He is a true believer in the Four-way-test.
• Candidate is Respected in Chosen Field
• Steve is well respected International Banker, he has served as President of the Chinese Bankers Association & the Buena Park Rotary Club.
• Active Rotary Club Member
• In Rotary, is very active both in our club and in district 5320. He is a Paul Harris Fellow. This year, he is an Assistant Governor. Steve worked at Snowball and is on the committee for the Operation One Family event.
• Active in Community
• In the community, Steve is active the chamber of commerce where he is on the board of trustees. In addition, Steve helps other clubs with their community events. He inspires people to work together for the good of all.
• Active in Humanitarian Service
• As a humanitarian, Steve sent supports Rotary International Foundation
• High Ethical Standards
• Steve models the four way test. He has earned the respect of all who know him. He is referred to as a man for all seasons, a person who can be depended upon and trusted.
Name of Candidate: Steve Santo Chen
Rotarian of the year
Steve greets every one with a big smile full of goodwill. He is doing exactly what he likes to do – making people feel welcome .Steve was Born and raised in Taiwan during a time of political changes Chen received a Japanese Education even before high school. This enabled him to speak two languages.
He studied Chinese and attended Su-Chow University where he graduated with a B.A.
degree in Accounting. At that point he had learned three languages. Chen’s business life started in the gold fields of Taiwan as an accountant for the company doing the mining. “My bonus was a gold nugget,” says Chen.
Next he established Rotel Co. that produced Hi-Fi stereo entertainment systems. In 1980 while serving as a director and general manager for Rotel, he had a chance to come to America to the
Consumer Electronic Show in Chicago. “It was a great experience and I knew America
was a great place because I ate a huge thick and very tasty steak,” states Chen
laughingly. “I saw Los Angeles and felt the climate in California was wonderful”, Chen says.
Chen realized he wanted to move his family to America but it took 10 years for that
to happen. “There was a quota,” says Chen. “It took that long to be on the list and get
to where we were allowed to come to America.” Chen settled in Buena Park with his
wife and two sons where he is on the Board of Trustee’s of Los Angeles National Bank in
Buena Park. He still is involved with Rotel Co. in China and makes occasional trips to
“make sure things are running smoothly”.
Since moving to California, Chen realized that Spanish is spoken quite a bit and
decided to learn Spanish. Of course he also learned English. Chen states, “English was
the hardest of all the languages to learn.” That’s five languages Steve Chen can speak.
Steve was Ambassador of the year for the Buena Park Area Chamber in 2003-2004. He is also
active in the Cerritos Chamber of Commerce and has been awarded Ambassador of the
Year – two consecutive years! A very active member in the Buena Park
Rotary Club, Chen has received numerous awards from Both Rotary and Toastmasters. He is serves on the board for his church.
Chen says, “I strongly believe that one person can make a difference for the
community one positive step at a time.” If you don’t find him out and about in the
communities he helps, you might be able to reach him at the bank at 714/670-2488.
Perhaps what exemplifies Steve Chen the best is an award given to him by
Soroptimist International of Buena Park in 2006. It is called the “Sincerity of Friendship