BP Rotary Citizen of the year 2007-08
Mary Fuhrman Buena Park Rotary Citizen of the Year 2007-08
Each year we select one outstanding non-Rotarian Buena Park resident to be named Citizen-of-the-Year. Some of our past distinguished honorees were: Donna Miller, 2006-07; Dr. Beth Swift, 2005-06 and Irv Trinkle, 2004-05.
This year’s honoree, Mary Fuhrman, served on the Buena Park School District Governing Board for 12 years from 1984-1996. Previously she was a teacher in Buena Park School District for 23 years. Mary is known for being passionate, yet quietly effective. Her emphasis is on volunteerism both in schools and in her community. She is active in the American Association of University Women and League of Women Voters. Mary was actively involved with California School Boards Association and served as an Assembly Delegate. She was active in the Orange County School Boards Association as Newsletter Editor. Mary exemplifies our Rotary Motto “Service-above-Self.” In 2006, Mary was awarded the Marian Bergeson award.
“Believe, Achieve, Succeed” is the motto of the Buena Park School District, where Mary Fuhrman inspired other members of the Governing Board. Mary believes in the Buena Park community and its children. She participates in innumerable educational and community functions each year.
Throughout her 12 years on the School Board, Mary was diligent to prepare for all Board responsibilities. She obtained her Masters in Governance training, and she faithfully applied what she learned. Mary served as Board President and Clerk.
Mary is involved in the community in other ways:
• recruits senior citizens called “Special Friends” to tutor and read to students;
• is involved with the North Orange County League of Women Voters (LWV) and has been a presenter and moderator at LWV education events such as “Back to Basics: Standards Accountability,” “School Finance,” and “Community College Issues”;
• is active in the American Association of University Women (AAUW) and serves as a member of their education board;
• is also a member of Delta Kappa Gamma, a professional women’s group;
• is the editor of the Orange County School Boards Association newsletter;
• formerly served as the chairman of OCSBA’s PAGE committee;
• was a delegate to the California School Boards Association for five years;
• corresponds with and speaks to legislators regarding issues that affect children, teachers, and schools in Orange County;
• participates in CSBA’s Legislative Conference each May;
• has served on the committee for Orange County Reorganization;
• was a CSBA Governmental Chairperson for five years working with two members of the State legislature.
For all these reasons we are honored to name Mary Fuhrman as the Buena Park Rotary Citizen of the Year 2007-08.